Wednesday readings from 8/30/17 on the topic of “Overcoming resentment and hatred”
Gen. 25: 20, 24, 27- 34
20. And Isaac was forty years old when he took Rebekah to wife,
24. And when her days to be delivered were fulfilled, behold, there were twins in her womb.
27. And the boys grew: and Esau was a cunning hunter, a man of the field; and Jacob was a plain man, dwelling in tents.
28. And Isaac loved Esau, because he did eat of his venison: but Rebekah loved Jacob.
29. And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint:
30. And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint:
31. And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright.
32. And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?
33. And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.
34. Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.
Gen. 27:1 – 2, 4 – 5, 15 – 19, 21 – 24, 27, 30 – 35, 41 – 43
- And it came to pass, that when Isaac was old, and his eyes were dim, so that he could not see, he called Esau his eldest son, and said unto him, My son: and he said unto him, Behold, here am I.
- And he said, Behold now, I am old, I know not the day of my death: Now therefore….. make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.
4. And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.
5. And Rebekah heard when Isaac spake to Esau his son.
15. And Rebekah took goodly raiment of her eldest son Esau, which were with her in the house, and put them upon Jacob her younger son:
16. And she put the skins of the kids of the goats upon his hands, and upon the smooth of his neck:
17. And she gave the savoury meat and the bread, which she had prepared, into the hand of her son Jacob.
18. And he came unto his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I; who art thou, my son?
19. And Jacob said unto his father, I am Esau thy firstborn; I have done according as thou badest me: arise, I pray thee, sit and eat of my venison, that thy soul may bless me.
21. And Isaac said unto Jacob, Come near, I pray thee, that I may feel thee, my son, whether thou be my very son Esau or not.
22. And Jacob went near unto Isaac his father; and he felt him, and said, The voice is Jacob’s voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.
23. And he discerned him not, because his hands were hairy, as his brother Esau’s hands: so he blessed him.
24. And he said, Art thou my very son Esau? And he said, I am.
And he said,
27. And he came near, and kissed him: and he smelled the smell of his raiment, and blessed him, and said, See, the smell of my son is as the smell of a field which the Lord hath blessed:
30. And it came to pass, as soon as Isaac had made an end of blessing Jacob, and Jacob was yet scarce gone out from the presence of Isaac his father, that Esau his brother came in from his hunting.
31. And he also had made savoury meat, and brought it unto his father, and said unto his father, Let my father arise, and eat of his son’s venison, that thy soul may bless me.
32. And Isaac his father said unto him, Who art thou? And he said, I am thy son, thy firstborn Esau.
33. And Isaac trembled very exceedingly, and said, Who? where is he that hath taken venison, and brought it me, and I have eaten of all before thou camest, and have blessed him? yea, and he shall be blessed.
34. And when Esau heard the words of his father, he cried with a great and exceeding bitter cry, and said unto his father, Bless me, even me also, O my father.
35. And he said, Thy brother came with subtilty, and hath taken away thy blessing.
41. And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him: and Esau said in his heart, The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob.
42. And these words of Esau her elder son were told to Rebekah: and she sent and called Jacob her younger son, and said unto him, Behold, thy brother Esau, as touching thee, doth comfort himself, purposing to kill thee. 43. Now therefore, my son, obey my voice; and arise, flee thou to Laban my brother to Haran;
Gen. 29:1, 13 – 23, 25 – 27
1. Then Jacob went on his journey, and came into the land of the people of the east.
13. And it came to pass, when Laban heard the tidings of Jacob his sister’s son, that he ran to meet him, and embraced him, and kissed him, and brought him to his house. And he told Laban all these things.
14. And Laban said to him, Surely thou art my bone and my flesh. And he abode with him …
15..And Laban said unto Jacob, Because thou art my brother, shouldest thou therefore serve me for nought? tell me, what shall thy wages be?
16. And Laban had two daughters: the name of the elder was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel.
17. Leah was tender eyed; but Rachel was beautiful and well favoured.
18. And Jacob loved Rachel; and said, I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter.
19. And Laban said, It is better that I give her to thee, than that I should give her to another man: abide with me.
21. And Jacob said unto Laban, Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that I may go in unto her.
22. And Laban gathered together all the men of the place, and made a feast.
23. And it came to pass in the evening, that he took Leah his daughter, and brought her to him; and he went in unto her.
25. And it came to pass, that in the morning, behold, it was Leah: and he said to Laban, What is this thou hast done unto me? did not I serve with thee for Rachel? wherefore then hast thou beguiled me?
26. And Laban said, It must not be so done in our country, to give the younger before the firstborn.
27. Fulfil her week, and we will give thee this also for the service which thou shalt serve with me yet seven other years.
25. And it came to pass, when Rachel had born Joseph, that Jacob said unto Laban, Send me away, that I may go unto mine own place, and to my country.
Gen.31: 3, 31
3. And the Lord said unto Jacob, Return unto the land of thy fathers, and to thy kindred; and I will be with thee.
41. Thus have I been twenty years in thy house; I served thee fourteen years for thy two daughters, and six years for thy cattle: and thou hast changed my wages ten times.
Gen. 32: 1, 3 – 7 (to :), 9, 11 – 13, 24 – 28
1. And Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him.
3. And Jacob sent messengers before him to Esau his brother.
and I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find grace in thy sight.
4. And he commanded them, saying, Thus shall ye speak unto my lord Esau; Thy servant Jacob saith thus, I have sojourned with Laban, and stayed there until now:…
5. And I have oxen, and asses, flocks, and menservants, and womenservants: and I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find grace in thy sight.
6. And the messengers returned to Jacob, saying, We came to thy brother Esau, and also he cometh to meet thee, and four hundred men with him.
7. Then Jacob was greatly afraid and distressed:
9. And Jacob said, O God of my father Abraham, and God of my father Isaac, the Lord which saidst unto me, Return unto thy country, and to thy kindred, and I will deal well with thee:
11. Deliver me, I pray thee, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau: for I fear him, lest he will come and smite me, and the mother with the children.
12. And thou saidst, I will surely do thee good, and make thy seed as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.
13. And he lodged there that same night; and took of that which came to his hand a present for Esau his brother;
24. And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
25. And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob’s thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.
26. And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.
27. And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.
28. And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.
Gen. 33:1, 3 – 4
1. And Jacob lifted up his eyes, and looked, and, behold, Esau came, and with him four hundred men.
3. And he passed over before them and bowed himself to the ground seven times, until he came near to his brother.
4. And Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck, and kissed him: and they wept.
Dan. 9:9 (to 1st ,)
To the Lord our God belong mercies and forgivenesses,
7. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Ps. 25: 1 -14, 16 – 21
- Unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.
- O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.
- Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.
- Shew me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths.
- Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.
- Remember, O Lord, thy tender mercies and thy loving kindnesses; for they have been ever of old.
- Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness’ sake, O Lord.
- Good and upright is the Lord: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.
- The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.
- All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
- For thy name’s sake, O Lord, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great.
- What man is he that feareth the Lord? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.
- His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth.
- The secret of the Lord is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.
- Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
- The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
- Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
- Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
- O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
- Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Acts 26:18 (‘open’ to ‘faith’)
18. … open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith…
Ps. 149:1, 3 (let them), 4, 9 (Praise )
1. Praise ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song,
3. …let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
4. For the Lord taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.
9. Praise ye the Lord.
309: 7 – 23
The result of Jacob’s struggle thus appeared. He had conquered material error with the understanding of Spirit Israel the new name and of spiritual power. This changed the man. He was no longer called Jacob, but Israel, — a prince of God, or a soldier of God, who had fought a good fight. He was to become the father of those, who through earnest striving followed his demonstration of the power of Spirit over the material senses; and the children of earth who followed his example were to be called the children of Israel, until the Messiah should rename them. If these children should go astray, and forget that Life is God, good, and that good is not in elements which are not spiritual, — thus losing the divine power which heals the sick and sinning, — they were to be brought back through great tribulation, to be renamed in Christian Science and led to deny material sense, or mind in matter, even as the gospel teaches.
241:-13 – 14, 19 – 21, 27 – 30
The Bible teaches transformation of the body by the renewal of Spirit.
The substance of all devotion is the reflection and demonstration of divine Love, healing sickness and destroying sin.
The baptism of Spirit, washing the body of all the impurities of flesh, signifies that the pure in heart see God and are approaching spiritual Life and its demonstration.
330: 25 – 32
The notion that both evil and good are real is a delusion of material sense, which Science annihilates. Evil is nothing, no thing, mind, nor power. As manifested by mankind it stands for a lie, nothing claiming to be something, — for lust, dishonesty, selfishness, envy, hypocrisy, slander, hate, theft, adultery, murder, dementia, insanity, inanity (in-an’ity), devil, hell, with all the etceteras that word includes.
248:29 – 32
Let unselfishness, goodness, mercy, justice, health, holiness, love — the kingdom of heaven — reign within us, and sin, disease, and death will diminish until they finally disappear.
497: 9 – 12, 24 – 27
We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
2060 Cottle Avenue
San Jose, CA 95125
Phone: (408) 265-1661
Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose
Upcoming Bible Lessons
- 3/25/2018 - Matter
- 4/1/2018 - Reality
- 4/8/2018 - Unreality
Upcoming EventsMar21Wed7:30 pm Wednesday Evening Gratitude Shar... @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CAWednesday Evening Gratitude Shar... @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CAMar 21 @ 7:30 pm – 8:30 pmJoin us every Wednesday evening as we share examples from our own lives of how we’ve seen Christian Science make a difference. You’ll hear some brief readings from the Bible and Science and Health with[...]Mar25Sun10:00 am Sunday Church Service @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CASunday Church Service @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CAMar 25 @ 10:00 am – 11:00 amJoin us as we read the Christian Science Bible Lesson in our Sunday service. All are welcome to attend this healing service! Sunday activities offered include: Church Sunday School for young people age 3 to[...]Mar28Wed7:30 pm Wednesday Evening Gratitude Shar... @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CAWednesday Evening Gratitude Shar... @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CAMar 28 @ 7:30 pm – 8:30 pmJoin us every Wednesday evening as we share examples from our own lives of how we’ve seen Christian Science make a difference. You’ll hear some brief readings from the Bible and Science and Health with[...]Apr1Sun10:00 am Sunday Church Service @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CASunday Church Service @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CAApr 1 @ 10:00 am – 11:00 amJoin us as we read the Christian Science Bible Lesson in our Sunday service. All are welcome to attend this healing service! Sunday activities offered include: Church Sunday School for young people age 3 to[...]Apr4Wed7:30 pm Wednesday Evening Gratitude Shar... @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CAWednesday Evening Gratitude Shar... @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CAApr 4 @ 7:30 pm – 8:30 pmJoin us every Wednesday evening as we share examples from our own lives of how we’ve seen Christian Science make a difference. You’ll hear some brief readings from the Bible and Science and Health with[...]