Nearly 30 years ago, when I was living in California, a small growth appeared on my face. I didn’t take much notice of it until my hairdresser remarked, “Oh, you’re just like me—you’ll eventually get around to doing something about that.” I appreciated her cheerful and dismissive attitude, but to be honest, I was frightened.
I had no doubt that God would be my “very present help in trouble” (Psalms 46:1). I accepted wholeheartedly the Christ as Mary Baker Eddy defines it in the Glossary of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures: “The divine manifestation of God, which comes to the flesh to destroy incarnate error” (p. 583). In my study of the Bible and Mrs. Eddy’s writings, I found daily comfort and constant instruction.
I knew that any change in the body first involves a change in thought, a shift from believing the evidence of the material senses to understanding God as all-knowing, filling all space, and having all power. I was confident that, as Science and Health states, “The effect of this Science is to stir the human mind to a change of base, on which it may yield to the harmony of the divine Mind” (p. 162). God knows every detail of our true, spiritual being, and I can honestly say I enjoyed the daily devotion to listening to divine Mind and discarding the limiting suggestions of the human mind.
At that point I knew all I had to do was grow daily in my understanding of God. I did not have to worry about other people’s thoughts. I readily accepted that the divine Mind, our very Principle, gives each individual the thoughts he or she needs.
Sometime later, I was walking along and casually put my hand to my face. The little growth fell off, leaving no trace on my face. I stood in awe of the power of our Father-Mother God. I couldn’t speak about this healing for a long time, but words from Hymn 151, “In speechless prayer and reverence” (Ellen J. Glover, Christian Science Hymnal), certainly came to mind. That feeling stayed with me and led to the best part of all in this demonstration of Truth’s power to make us free. When I went to the grocery store, I would often see a woman whose face was severely disfigured, and I’d had the urge to look away. But the first time I saw her after my healing, I was filled with an overwhelming sense of our both being the flawless expression of infinite, radiant, divine Love.
Over and over again, Mrs. Eddy describes love as being central to Christian Science healing, and for this I am profoundly grateful.
Boston, Massachusetts, US
Read the entire article here: http://journal.christianscience.com/shared/view/986aak6aga?s=e
Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose
2060 Cottle Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125
Phone: (408) 265-1661
- Dec 16 Sun 10:00 am Sunday Church Service and Sunday School @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CA
- Dec 23 Sun 10:00 am Sunday Church Service and Sunday School @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CA
- Dec 30 Sun 10:00 am Sunday Church Service and Sunday School @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CA
- Jan 02 Wed 6:30 pm Wednesday Evening Gratitude Sharing Testimony Meeting @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CA
- Jan 06 Sun 10:00 am Sunday Church Service and Sunday School @ Second Church of Christ, Scientist, San Jose CA
Upcoming Bible Lessons
- 12/16/2018 - God the Preserver of Man
- 12/23/2018 - Is the Universe, Including Man, Evolved by Atomic Force?
- 12/30/2018 - Christian Science